Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Watch us Wednesday with Tracy MacDonald

It's my turn this week to do the tutorial for The Kraft Journal.  First I'm going to show you how to make a cute little box and then I'll show you what goes inside and how it ties into our theme this week of "Spring Cleaning".   I've used Kraft Outlet Brown Kraft and Buff Ivory Cover Weight cardstock and cut a piece of each  to 8" x 8".  I used the Brown Kraft for my box bottom and it needs to be scored on all four sides at 1 1/2".

Burnish your score lines and cut a small notch out of each of the corner "flaps".  NOTE:  Make sure you don't cut the notch out of the center pieces.  Add adhesive to the corner pieces and fold up your box bottom with the flaps to the inside.


Your box bottom is done.


The next step is the only tricky part to this box.  The lid has to be scored a tiny bit larger than the bottom so it will sit on the box right.  If you'll take a close look at the next photo, the Martha Stewart Score board has a line with a little arrow just a smidge in from the left side of the board.  Put the edge of your paper on that arrow line everytime you score at 1 1/2" and it will give you just the little extra you need.


After you get all your scoring done, burnish you score lines and trim the notches the same way you did for the bottom of the box.  If you want to use a decorative punch on your box top, now's the time to punch.  You'll need to trim the flaps a little depending on which punch you use.   Add your adhesive and fold up your lid.


Here's what the finished box looks like with some pretty purple seam binding ribbon wrapped around it and a little French perfume tag to jot a note on.


Are you ready to see what's in the box?
---

---

---

---

---

It's sachets!


What better way to freshen up those spring cleaned dresser drawers than with some nice smell good.  I've used the Kraft Outlet Cotton Draw String bags which I stamped and colored with Copic markers.  I also added some ribbon and lace around the top and used some ink to dye the draw strings purple.


For the smell good I bought some sachet packets at Wal-mart.  The package says to leave the contents in the pouch and not let it touch fabric.  I wanted to protect the bag so I bought a pack of plastic jewelry bags and used a 1/8" hole punch to punch numerous holes in the bag.  The holes are too small for the crystals to get through but they allow the smell out and the 3" x 4' size works perfectly for the bags.


So there you have it!  A really easy and cheap gift or prezzie to yourself.


 Have a great week and don't forget, you still have plenty of time to enter our "Spring Cleaning" challenge for this week.  The link to our current challenge is at the top right of our sidebar!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your box, Tracy, especially the punched edges of the top. Genious! And those sachets are beautiful. I might have to make a couple for Mother's Day gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too darn clever Tracy. Love the mix of Kraft and Ivory! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so beautiful, thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful project! I just ordered a bunch of these bags and I can't wait to get them. I know there are going to be so much I can do with them in my crafty projects! I love that beautiful box too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous, Tracy!! Your box is so practical for tons of occasions and you've made it really beautiful with the punched edging and purple seam binding. LOVE the vintage tag, too. And those sachets? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omgosh..new here..these are beautiful!!! could even do c'mas ones..what a great gift idea..so glad i gound this site..loves ya

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10