Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Watch us Wednesday with Jennifer: French Knot Tutorial

Hello friends! Jennifer has a quick tutorial on how to make French knots to share today!

I've always loved the look of French Knots on both fabric and paper crafts and when I realized how easy they were to make, I've loved incorporating them into my projects.
 The first step is to thread an embroidery needle with as many strands of embroidery floss as you like. I use 3 or 4 but sometimes it is whatever I can see to separate. :) Thread the needle through your paper at whatever spot you'd like. I typically use these knots as little buds but they'd be great in a bunch as flower centers or snowflakes, little apples, whatever you'd like them to be!
 Once you've pulled the thread through the paper, wrap the thread around the needle about 3 times. As with the number of strands you choose, the number of times you wrap the thread will end up being the size of your knots.
 Once you've wrapped the needle, stick it back into the cardstock but don't pull through yet.



Slide the wrapped thread to the bottom of the needle and hold tightly while you push the needle through the paper.
 Pull tightly and you have your knot!


Here's a photo of a card I made for the Walk in My Garden challenge this week.

I encourage you to give these knots a try or have some fun with something else you haven't tried before. Sometimes you'll be amazed that it really isn't as hard as it seems. :)

3 comments:

  1. neat idea! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...thanks for sharing... I am so going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been crafting my whole life and I've never mastered the french knot. you've inspired me to give it another go. thanks. Plus I never actually thought of using it on card. that's such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10