Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Watch Us Wednesday with Tracy MacDonald: Laced Panels Tutorial

Tracy here and I have a Kraft Journal tutorial for you today that's easy peasy.  I love the look of laced panels on cards and scrapbook pages and have used that technique several times in the past.  Recently I read a post on one of the scrapper blogs I subscribed to called Gerrys Scrappy Life (the link will take you straight to her tutorial).  In the past I used an eyelet setter and eyelets to create the holes for the lacing, but she showed how to do it with edge punches.  They're a lot easier on the hands and more even than the hand done way.

All you need is an edge punch that will work for the lacing and some designer paper or cardstock.  I've used some Brown Kraft and Buff Ivory cardstocks so you can see the details easily.  I can't really give you any measurements because it will depend upon the size of your project and the width you decide you want between the panel edges.


For this card I cut a panel of the Brown kraft 5.5" x 11" and punched one short edge.  I trimmed it off at about 1.25" so I'd have some play room.  It was trimmed smaller later.  Taking the larger leftover pieces of Brown kraft I repeated the punched edge.  After that it's just a matter of figuring how much to trim off your pieces.


You will get different looks depending upon what type of edge punch you use.  I was going to use the same one Gerry used in her tutorial but broke the punch.  grrrrrrrrr


Anyway, here's what the finished card looks like with the panels laced with some Earthy hemp cord and a Scalloped Grungy Prim tag sentiment.


Hope you'll give it a try.  It's really simple and gives a great decorative element to your project.

Be blessed and remember there is still time to join our Favorite Colors challenge this week.  You can find all the information and link up your project from our Current Challenge link located in the upper righthand of our sidebar!

6 comments:

  1. what a fun tutorial! I've never seen this and would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow! Beautiful technique and another innovative way to use border punches. And the added floss...genius. TFS this terrific inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial- LOVE the look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous technique and I adore that punch !
    Can't wait to have a go x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful!! A wonderful idea and tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love what you did with those edge punches!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10