Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Watch Us Wednesday with Tracy: Tips for Using Your Scraps

Hi!  It's Tracy, and it's time for me to share another tutorial with you for the Kraft Journal.  This time I'm going to show you a use for some of your scraps and a couple of tips.

For my project I'm using a strip of 3" x 11" Brown Kraft Cover Weight cardstock.  The majority of my cards are 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" so after trimming an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper I have lots of these little skinny leftovers.  Besides the Brown Kraft, I'm also going to use a scrap of chipboard, Baker's Twine, some dies, and a few standard card making supplies.


Using the larger of the circle dies I cut out a circle of chipboard and covered it with Copic double sided tape.


After peeling off the tape covering I carefully covered a little over 3/4 of the circle with the Baker's Twine in a wrapped circle.


I didn't cover the entire circle because of the particular flower die I used.  I trimmed mine down to fit but you may not need to do that if you have a large flower or if you choose to place you circle on top of the flower dies.  I cut two flowers from Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals die and then used the smallest circle Nestie to cut out the centers.  If you place your circle on top you won't need to do this.  I also used an embossing tool to shape the petals.


I folded the skinny strip of Brown Kraft in half and used a white gel pen to do some faux stitching.  I also glued the Baker's Twin circle down to the card and then layered the two flower dies on top.
Take notice of the small notches I cut out on both sides of the card.  These notches will help your Baker's Twine stay where you want it when wrapping around your cards.


I finished the simple little card with a hand drawn stem, some Memory Box leaves, and a stamped sentiment.


Don't let those scrappies go to waste!

1 comment:

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10