Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Watch Us Wednesday with Tracy: Iris Folding Apple Card Tutorial

Tracy here with a Kraft Journal tutorial for you today.  When I first started making mini albums and cards I scoured the internet for cool ways to embellish and one of the interesting techniques I found was iris folding.  In honor of our back to school theme this week I'm going to show you how to make a simple iris fold apple card.

The pattern I have used comes from circleofcrafters.com.  You can go there and find this freebie as well as many many others.

As you can see from the pattern, the instructions call for three different colors/patterns to make the apple, but I just used red for all of the numbers on mine.

 
I printed the apple pattern onto Brown Kraft and cut some 1" strips of red cardstock.
 
 
Next I scored each strip at 5/8".
 

I cut away the center portion of the apple on the Kraft and taped it over the pattern.  I also folded each of the red strips and made the folded edge as crisp as possible.


The next step is to start attaching the strips following the numbered pattern and putting the crisp folded edge along the numbered lines.  You trim the strips to fit as you go.


Keep layering, following the pattern and attaching the strips with small pieces of tape.


Here's the almost completed apple from the back.  It's bulky and messy but......


....here's what the front looks like.


And here is the completed card with a Brown Kraft base, a Nestie die mat, and the apple with a stem, leaf, and some faux stitching.  Perfect for a teachers gift.  Hope you'll give it a try.

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great card! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!Love the technique and will for sure be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool technique and a great teacher card!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. A+
    Wonderful tutorial, TFS.

    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tutorial - fantastic effect, thank you!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial. I took a class on this last spring and found it really relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love iris folding! Your card is super :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial. I have always wanted to try this...thanks for the link to the patterns. Your card is gorgeous, love it all in red.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this tutorial TFS. I have been wanting to do the iris fold card for a while. I know I will be doing one soon.
    Your card is simply beautiful and elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10