Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Watch Us Wednesday with Tammy: Topiary Egg Tree

It's Tammy, and I have a Holiday Home Decor Tutorial for you.  I was motivated by a very large bag of plastic Easter Eggs that I have moved around in the bottom of a closet for several years now. It keeps multiplying each year with every egg hunt my son attends. So I guess you can say this is an upcycle project as well! :-) I love to make Home Decor Projects and I love it even better when I can repurpose something! I am sure you may have these stuck in a closet somewhere too.

We are going to make a Vintage Dictionary Page Egg Topiary Tree! Not sure what else to call it! Ha!


The supplies you need include:
The items from The Kraft Outlet
Plastic Easter Eggs
Foam Topiary Tree
Hot Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Royal Coat / Modge Podge Decoupage Finish
Paint Brush or a Foam Brush
Embellishments for your eggs
      (I used)
  • Felt
  • Buttons
  • Paper Flowers
  • Patterned Paper
  • Lace Trim
Moss
Pot for tree

I am going to first apologize that I didn't have someone to help with pictures.

Here is a picture of some of the supplies needed to get started.
* Prior to starting, cut your Vintage Dictionary Pages into strips at various lengths tearing some of the edges.

With a brush, dab on the Decoupage Finish
Start working your Vintage Dictionary Pages into different directions smoothing down with your fingers and adding more Decoupage Finish on top as you go. Just channel your inner pre-school self! :-) This is not a project for those who don't like to get messy!!! Trust me the end result is worth it!!!
Repeat the process till you cover the amount of eggs needed!

Your Vintage Dictionary Page wrapped eggs! Waiting to be embellished! 
Now the fun begins, but I used several items to embellish my eggs.  My biggest go to item was the Natural Hemp Cord which I used to make my bows and is so easy to curl.  I created a heart border from Lunch Bag Kraft Cardstock.  I used Canvas Fringe Ribbon as trim and Burlap to die-cut hearts.  All items were adhered to the eggs using a hot glue gun.
Waiting to go onto the tree! :-)
Next, I chose to paint my stem of the topiary! 
Using your hot glue gun, apply glue to the back of the egg and add to your 
tree and hold in place for about a minute.
After all of your eggs have been applied, it's time to add some 
moss as filler between your eggs. I also did this by using my hot glue gun.
I chose to use different variations of moss for visual interest. 
And The finished, Up-cycled Vintage Topiary Egg Tree! 
A close-Up!
I hope you will stop by The Kraft Outlet and pick up some supplies to make your own Vintage Topiary Tree!

~Tammy~

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Tammy this is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing the step by step on what is an awesome Easter decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, this is just charming ! I hate holding on to those eggs every year, since they take up space, and are so cheap. Now I know exactly what to do with them !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of work, but dang Tammy, this is stunning!! Wow!! I would love to have that in my house. My address is.... heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO very cool....Pinning this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10