Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Watch Us Wednesday with Jan: Stamp Storage

Jan here today with some thoughts on stamps.

I have never quite known how to store stamps, especially when out of sight (for me!) means out of mind.  I am always finding some stamp somewhere that I didn't even know I had, does that happen to you ?

When I first began stamping on my cards, I had no idea my collection would expand so much !  Recently I saw an article in a craft magazine asking the question, how do you store your stamps ?, and even the experts didn't have any ideas I didn't already think of.

At first, all my stamps were in a shoebox, sitting on my craft table.  This was a pretty good solution for me for a time, as I could find them quickly, and they were so easy at hand.  I had read somewhere to keep your unmounted stamps in a CD jewel box, which I tried, but the center stem was always in the way. Finally, I had to separate out my mounted stamps though, and I put them on a closet door ...



I found a 13 x13 box, two inches high, so I could put my Christmas mounted stamps in a closet with all of my other holiday paper and stamps.


My first solution for my unmounted stamps was a hard cover box, with binder clips, and plastic sleeves.  This was too large to keep on my craft table, I found I forgot all about it, and those sleeves just weren't right.  Sometimes the stamps would cling to them, which didn't seem like a great plan either.



In the end I found I had to keep my stamps in different areas.  A friend gave me a 31 day wooden box, meant for receipts, and I found I could keep that easily on the table.  I can thumb through them very quickly, so the stamps most often used ended up here.


I have a lot more unmounted stamps I wanted to have close at hand too, and I found these plastic holders at Stampendous ...

You can store these upright, or flat, they are very thin and fit into a magazine holder easily.  I always tape some of the packaging to the back, so I know where the stamps originated.


Here you can see how easily you can find a piece.  This is really one of my smartest storage solutions.



But in the end, I found the best storage of all for those stamps I use everyday, the stamps with all the sentiments.  This is a drawer right next to my knee, and I'll be honest, my favorite solution...





Yup, a pile stuffed in a drawer !

How do you handle your stamps ??   We would love to find more solutions !!




2 comments:

  1. The perennial question! I have my everyday wood mounted stamps in an Ikea storage box thingie with the little drawers sorted by subject (Nature, Sentiments...). SU ones are still in their little cases and labled with the set name on the side on white paper (so I can actually see it LOL).

    Christmas & Halloween stamps are in labeled shoeboxes.

    Clear stamps are in their packaging in an open box on a shelf. If I don't have packaging they're in CD cases.

    I stamp all of my images on paper and store those in a binder that holds baseball card protector sheets.

    I've always thought it would be a great idea to have my wood stamps on little skinny shelves on the wall so I could actually SEE them. Maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would hang your head in shame if you saw how I "organize" my stamps. They're all shoved in a couple of drawers in my scrap bins, and it's awful. Thanks for some ideas. Some day, I will be organized. LOL I appreciate this tutorial, and hope others enjoy it as well. THanks for sharing!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10