Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Watch Us Wednesday with Jessica: Teacher Appreciation Gift Idea

Good Morning~ It's Jessica with a great end of the school year Teacher Appreciation gift idea and tutorial. Last year I made this altered coaster Post-it note holder and have had many requests to share how I made it.  Since the end of the school year is quickly approaching for many, we all have those special teacher's we like to do a little extra  for so hopefully you will be inspired to create one of these as well.
The supply list is quite simple and can be altered to fit whatever theme you choose. You need the following:
Coaster or Chipboard
designer paper
stamp and stamp block
ink
adhesive

So let's begin! Start by taking your chipboard piece (4in x4in) or coaster and cover it with the Brown Kraft Cardstock using any adhesive of your choice. My go to is the Tombo Mono Multi Liquid and after I glue the card stock to the coaster I smooth all the air bubbles out with my bone folder
I also ended up using a file to smooth the edges around the coaster as well. You want a nice finished look both on the front and the back of the coaster. Plus if you are using chipboard, the added cardstock makes the whole piece sturdier.
This next step can be done however you choose and can be as detailed as you want. I choose to use my designer paper, some Black Twill Tape and my sewing machine. I quickly ran the ribbon and designer paper through my sewing machine using a zig zag stitch and then followed the same steps as above to attach it to my base.

Now to finish your project off...all you have to do is stamp your sentiment onto the post it notes...yes depending on how many sheets of paper you are stamping on it can get pretty tedious but the receiver would love to have all the pages be consistent~ don't you think?? I used The Alley Way Stamps~ Trees Company stamp set for both the sentiment and that adorable apple. I also hot glued the Hinge Clip to my coaster base, further embellished with a button from my stash and some Natural Hemp Cord

Feel free to stop by Jessica's Blog ~ Chick-n-Scrap to read more about this tutorial.  Thanks for visiting The Kraft Journal today and don't forget to join this week's challenge.  We LOVE seeing your projects!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Jessica. My kids are too old for this type of gift, but it is an AWESOME idea. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I need to go looking for Anything Goes old coaster! This will be perfect for my youngest daughters' 5th grade teacher ;)
    Blessings,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10