Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Watch us Wednesday with Karen: 2 in 1 Tutorial

Two Tutorials In One
Paper Bag Pocket AND Easy Washi Tape Flag Banner
 
Hello friends of The Kraft Journal!  Karen Letchworth here with a quick two-in-one tutorial for our Watch Us Wednesday blog post.  I am hoping that one, or both, of these quick tutorials will be helpful to you.  I started out my project by grabbing a sweet little Small Kraft Paper Sack from The Kraft Outlet.
I folded it in half bringing the bottom up to the top (opening), but leaving about a half-inch border at the top.  I ran this through my sewing machine, creating a quick paper bag "pocket" perfect for giving a gift card or tucking photos, notes, or memories inside.  You will also see that I cut out a little wedge of paper at the top of the paper bag and attached a length of Tim Holtz Ruler Ribbon to make it pop.
Super easy, huh!?  You now have now made your Paper Bag Pocket, and you can tuck things inside and decorate it any way you like.  I decided to make a flag banner for mine, and here's how I did it:
I took a length of Red Baker's Twine and three different styles of Decorative Washi Tape including the Red & White Polka Dot, the Tape Measurer Washi Tape, and the Black & White Polka Dot washi tape.
Measure how long you want your baker's twine to be by finding the middle of your card, layout, or project.  Place your first strip of washi tape in the middle.  You simply double over the washi tape even if it's too long, and let it hang.  Just double it over, space them out however far apart you like them, and then....
....you simply snip each piece of washi tape to create little flag for your banner.  This is really easy and works great on scrapbook layouts, cards, or across any project including an album.  Next, I tied bows in my baker's twine right where I wanted to attach them.  I adhered them to my Paper Bag Pocket with a touch of hot glue at the bows.
For the final step of this project, I took advantage, once again, of all the pockets that you get when you make albums and pockets from paper bags.  Hey, they're built right in....why not make them look cute?
I used a piece of Buff Ivory Cover Weight Cardstock to cut a little tag for the pocket and decorated that using a Jenni Bowlin General Store Postage Stamp Sticker.  At the bottom, I added a Jenni Bowlin Chipboard Button tied with some more black and white baker's twine.
 
I hope that these little ideas have been helpful to you.  You can find everything you need to try either of these techniques by visiting The Kraft Outlet.  You can also make this Paper Bag Pocket by using an ordinary brown paper lunch bag.  Then, you're got your "kraft" product so that you can enter our challenge this week!  We love having you play along in our weekly challenges for the chance to win some of The Kraft Outlet's awesome products.
 
For more information on this tutorial or just to say hello, please stop by my blog, My Cup Runneth Over.  I look forward to seeing your projects linked to our Clean and Simple Challenge this week.

6 comments:

  1. fun tutorial Karen! love those washi banners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen a Washi Tape banner before, thank you so much for a super tutorial, great pocket. Will definitely use this technique now.
    Debbiex

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute, and easy, way to create a banner. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute, and easy, way to create a banner. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Karen, for a fun tutorial - I like that idea for a banner.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10