Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Watch Us Wednesday

Hi and welcome to another edition of Watch Us Wednesday! Kristi here, and today we're going to explore working with card sketches. For those who may not know, a card sketch is a map or blueprint of a card layout. They are an invaluable tool in the card maker's arsenal especially if you've hit a creative block and need a fresh idea to help you. I personally love to work with sketches. I like that a lot of the work is done for me and I can spend more time figuring out my colors,stamps,papers and embellishments!

Today we're going to work with the sketch that is being used with the current challenge.



This is a very nice sketch, I like the asymmetrical placement of the focal point. Let's see a card made strictly by the sketch.
Easy peasy! This card was made in under ten minutes. I just chose my stamp and papers, which took most of the time! Sketches can be great time savers when you're in a hurry. 
What if we wanted to make a more elaborate card? The process I follow is to study the sketch and see where additional elements can be introduced that stay in harmony with the sketch as a whole. Here is a slightly more complicated card:
I've added stitching around the second layer, a scalloped strip behind the long rectangular piece, some burlap ribbon on the other side,and a two layer focal sentiment. I've also added some finishing embellishments, the button and enamel dots. 
See how different this card looks compared to the first one? Another technique I employ when working with sketches is changing the shape of an element to fit either the theme or what I have on hand if I don't have a particular die or premade shape. Feel free to experiment with adding or removing elements from the sketch to make it fit your style. Sometimes my finished card looks nothing like the sketch!
Another way to work with a sketch is to rotate it. Some sketches are beautiful rotated on it's side. The following card was rotated and the focal image was moved to the opposite side:
What a difference! I've added a couple of new elements to the sketch: the black ribbon and bow and an additional round element next to the focal image. I've also changed the shape of the focal point to an oval shape. Any shape would do, a star, heart, whatever you want.
I hope this tutorial has been helpful to you and has made you look at sketches with a creative eye. Remember, there are  no rules except what makes you happy! I hope you'll take another look at our sketch challenge this week and show us what you come up with! Have a great day!
Supplies used from The Kraft Outlet store:


            Blackboard Stock paper
             Black Burlap Ribbon
             Pastel Hemp Cord

             Pastel Hemp Cord

3 comments:

  1. This was a really cool tutorial Kristi. It gave a neat perspective on how to make simple changes, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each card looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing how to take simple hcanges to make an entirely different yet setill fab card!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let us know you stopped by!

09 10